Friday, July 9, 2010

Proverbs 14:15:

"The simple believes every word,
But the prudent considers well his steps."

Why do you believe what you believe? Is it because someone told you it is right? Or because you searched it out for yourself? When I first became a Christian I left the church I was attending and began to attend another one. The leader was very charismatic; he had presence and seemed to be very zealous for the Lord. Yet after about two years I knew something was wrong, but I just couldn't put my finger on it. I met the woman who would become (and still is, to my great surprise) my wife. We left, disillusioned, discouraged, and defeated.

I began to study the Bible diligently, something I had forsaken while "working" with this group. I soon realized that I had been deceived and that the man was not who he presented himself to be. I had believed certain things because I was told that they were right, yet had not bothered to check them out for myself. I had allowed myself to be deceived because I believed every word I was told.

It was then and there the I developed the conviction that no one would ever deceive me by twisting the Scripture again. Be prudent and consider well every step you take. Do you believe what you believe because someone told you it was right? Or have you taken the time to search it out for yourself? The difference could be life and death.

No comments: