Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Death of Self...

“To consider persons and events and situations only in the light of their effect upon myself is to live on the doorstep of hell.” Thomas Merton

In our narcissistic church culture this quote is amazingly relevant. It is sad that in the Church that bears the name of Jesus Christ we have so much self-absorption.
Christians don’t serve because they are too busy…too busy serving themselves and those that they love in the natural.

Christians don’t give because things are really tight…which means we only have enough to spend on ourselves and those we love in the natural.

Christians don’t share their faith because they are intimidated…intimidated that the listener will think ill of them and not like them anymore.

Christians don’t confront people because they love them too much…in reality they don’t love them at all; they love themselves and their reticence is purely motivated by selfishness.

This is a very different Christianity than what Jesus preached. Jesus told us to deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Him. We have settled for pampering ourselves, taking up our rights and following what makes us feel good.

Ryan Couch

(This and other fine postings can be found at http://ryancouch.wordpress.com)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this on Ryans blog too. It is sad we are all guilty I wishI could say I wasnt but I am. I will be be making it to church today but I will be praying and about how far I fall short in these things. Praying God will Change me,

Maryb

Anonymous said...

should read I will not be making it to church