Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The difference between a Christian and a Disciple…

I do believe (IMHO) that there is a difference between being a Christian and a Disciple. (Now I’m not dogmatic on this; this is just my conviction).

All Christians are followers of Jesus; Not all Christians are disciples. Now let me say at the beginning that they should be synonymous, but all too often they aren’t. The Bible speaks of “carnal Christians” (I Corinthians 3). Were Ananias and Sapphira Christians (Acts 5)? Many commentators believe that they were; certainly they were carnal and their discipleship commitment was questionable.

Let’s look at what Jesus considered discipleship:

John 12:24: “Most assuredly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the ground and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it produces much grain.” Here Jesus says that it is only in dying to our desires and submitting ourselves to the Father’s plan, purpose, and will for our lives that we can produce much fruit.

Luke 9:23: “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me.” According to Jesus, this is not a one time experience; it is a daily surrender to Him and His will.

Jesus defined for us what a disciple is in Luke 14:26-33: “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it — lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, saying, 'This man began to build and was not able to finish.' Or what king, going to make war against another king, does not sit down first and consider whether he is able with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with twenty thousand? Or else, while the other is still a great way off, he sends a delegation and asks conditions of peace. So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.”

Here are some observations about what Jesus is saying:

1. Following Jesus means placing Him above all others, including family (verse 26).

2. Following Jesus means taking up His cross; it means giving your life for the benefit of others (verse 27).

3. Following Jesus involves counting the cost (verse 28-32).

4. Following Jesus involves forsaking all (verse 33).

Now, really, not all followers of Jesus are willing to obey Him and do what He says. These words here in Luke 14 are difficult; certainly impossible without the power of the Holy Spirit to enable us to fulfill. G. K. Chesterton said, “The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting. It has been found difficult; and left untried.”

My desperate desire is to be a fully committed disciple of Jesus; to do so will mean my death…the death of my self. Yet it is the only way, for it is in dying that we produce much fruit, as Jesus said.

So here are ten ways to tell if you are a disciple:

10. You are a member in good attendance in a local Church.

9. You pray for your Church, the leadership, and your pastor everyday.

8. Instead of caring for your friends new baby so she can clean her house, you clean her house while she cares for her baby.

7. You mow your neighbors lawn when he breaks his leg (even though you don’t like to do yard work).

6. You volunteer to do the dishes even though it is not your wife’s birthday. (Great caution should be exercised here guys – you don’t want to frighten her).

5. Instead of waiting for others to serve you, you willingly, with a grateful heart, volunteer to serve others.

4. You visit shut-in’s, the elderly, the sick, the lonely and those you haven’t seen in Church in a while.

3. You give to meet the needs of others even though you know you are going to have to go without to do it.

2. You love those no one else is willing to love.

And the number one way you can tell if you are a disciple…

1. You love others as you love yourself, just as Jesus did in giving Himself for others, even dying in their place so that they could live.

Can you come up with any more reasons to tell if you are a disciple?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okie,

Here are 10:

1. You argue with other disciples about who is the greatest
2. You ask Jesus to let you sit on his right side in His kingdom
3. You volunteer to call fire down from heaven on your enemies
4. You think God is mad at you because you failed to bring bread on your trip
5. You Argue with God as if you know what He should do when he mentions the cross
6. You consider leaving when He talks about eating his body and drinking His blood
7. You accuse Him of not caring when your boat is going down
8. You see Jesus walking on water and you think cool! Can I do that?
9. You tell kids to beat it, because Jesus is to important for them
10. When all your dreams are dead – you go fishing

Oh the amazing love of God - He loves us anyway.

BMR

Anonymous said...

BMR: You said it better than I ever could! Thanks for posting!

Maryb said...

I know I fall way short of being a real disciple, My prayer is that each day I become more like him, I have a long long long long long way to go.

Anonymous said...

Maryb, It was after Peter finally understood the same thing, God was able to use him.

Blessings,
BMR

Calvary Chapel Shawnee said...

good stuff Randall,
SB

Anonymous said...

Okie,

This week a missionary friend of mine is coming to visit - now he is a disciple. When we were in high school (class of 73) he read a book entiled God's Smuggler, and that in fact has been his life's call. When the iron curtain was up, he smuggled bibles and other Christian literature, he was caught a few times and thrown into prison, but also has some experiences with the KGB which he cannot bring himself to talk about. He has also recently smuggled into countries who hate Christians with a passion (can't say more). When I look at him I see a disciple, when I look in the mirror, I'm not so sure. Yet, I am mindful this is his calling, and by the grace of God, he is what he is! I too want to be a disciple, but somehow I know, only the work of the Holy Spirit will ever bring me there. I am comforted by looking at what the original 12 were, before God changed them. I do believe we need to come to a place of total surrender, and committment - but after that, it will depend on the manifold grace of God to do the finishing work. By the way I only disagree with your comment that I "said it far better than you ever could" - I think it is the other way around!

Blessings,
BMR

Randall Slack said...

BMR: Your friend is indeed a disciple and I am not worthy to untie his sandals. He is committed and sold out; his life has demonstrated that. True it is a work of the Spirit, but it is also up to us to go into the harvest (wherever the harvest is). For me, the harvest is at home, with my family, friends, neighborhood, here at the church I pastor and the community beyond.

For you, the harvest is...?

Are we willing to surrender our lives to Jesus, completely and without reservation? Are we willing to go where He calls us? Are we willing to pay the price?

I want to be willing to be willing...and by the power of the Holy Spirit, I want to be obedient. May God help us to surrender ourselves daily, as we die to ourselves and seek to live for Him, as His disciple...

I haven't arrived; but like the Apostle, "Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on , that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me." (Philippians 3:12).

Thanks for posting. Pray for me; I'll pray for you...

Anonymous said...

Okie,

You got a deal! For you and your whole family.

BMR

Anonymous said...

Morning Okie how are you today, just stoped by to say hi.

Maryb