Tuesday, April 8, 2008

A death in the family…

Monday, April 7, 2008, my mother-in-law, Lois passed into eternity. I first met Lois when my (now) wife took me home to meet my future in-laws. Lois was always kind to me. My father-in-law, however was less than impressed. (He told the men at work that he was getting a hippie for a son-in-law. However, in time I won him over and we became friends. I even had the pleasure of conducting his funeral in 2000 when he went to be with the Lord).

Lois is a big reason why we are in the ministry in Oklahoma. Her financial assistance enabled us to afford living here. She quickly adopted the church family (and they adopted her too). Whenever she heard about a need, she would give them the money without their knowing that she provided it. She did not have a lot, but she freely gave without expecting anything in return. After the death of her husband, she came to live with us in Oklahoma. It was not always easy, especially as her health began to fail. Yet, we considered it a privilege to take care of her. One of the hardest things I ever did was to take her car keys away from her. Watching her lose her independence was very difficult for us and for her. In the end, she was bed ridden, unable to walk or care for herself in any way. I had the privilege of being there with her and holding her hand as she went to be with Jesus.

Thanks, Lois, for always being there. Thank you father for allowing us to be a part of Lois’s life.

4 comments:

Jim Goodman said...

God bless your family in this time. It is a great testimony that she lived her life for others that way.

It sounds like she was blessed to share in your life and ministry as much as you shared in hers.

Many Blessings and Great Peace!

Jim

Maryb said...

IM so sorry about your loss , But glad to know that Lois is with Jesus, praying for you and your wife and Rachel.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and your family as you walk through the funeral tomorrow,

Lord I lift up Okie Preacher and Rachel and Mrs Okie Preacher to you right now Father comfort them as only you can do . I ask this in the name that is above all Names the name of Jesus,

With Love
Maryb