Saturday, June 27, 2009

God hears us!

Psalms 116:1-2: "I love the LORD, because He has heard My voice and my supplications. Because He has inclined His ear to me, Therefore I will call upon Him as long as I live."

If we are honest today we all would admit that there are times that we feel as if the Lord is not hearing our prayers. I believe that everyone, at one time or another, feels this way.

The Psalmist is rejoicing because God has delivered him from death (verse 3). So he rejoices and gives God praise, which is the correct thing to do. When God answers our prayers, it is only right to thank Him and give Him praise (Luke 17:17-18).

However, do we thank and praise God before our prayers are answered? Often, we all fail to do so.

God hears our prayers, not because we feel He does or because our circumstances confirm that He does (for often our circumstances declare the opposite). God hears our prayers because He says He does. The Psalmist uses the word, "inclined." This word means to pay attention to and concentrate on what is being said. Think about it - when you or I pray, God gives us His undivided attention - He hears our prayers!

Chuck Smith is fond of saying that God is always working behind the scenes. This is true. We often don't see Him working, but He is there just the same, working out His plan and purpose for our lives.

So rejoice - God has inclined His ear to our prayers, and is working on our behalf. Always!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Okie

Pray you are doing well. I am still having radiation treatments. Not been real active on the blogs. well just wanted to say hi.

Mary

Okie Preacher said...

Bless you, mary. Praying for you...

Unknown said...

If I relied on how I was feeling in regards to God hearing my prayers I'd be a total mess.

I like how David is so honest in the Psalms and just lays it out there. And as he prays God brings him joy and he closes his Psalm much differently than when he began it.

I would not say that for those pesky imprectatory Psalms though! :)